Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Justification

Benson and Gerony asked me today why I posted a picture of squirrels in a light saber fight. (By the way, it's nice to read comments from students on these posts.) One, it's silly -- and, as you all know, I love all things silly. But, as I pontificated some more, I realized that there was another (and actually legitimate) reason this Photoshopped picture rocks.

Compare the Squirrel Fight to one of the most famous paintings of the twentieth century, "The Dance" by Henri Matisse. This painting is one of the signature pieces at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), and I have always admired it for its evocation of synergy with the physical world.

According to Artchive, "The Dance is one of the few wholly convincing images of physical ecstasy made in the twentieth century." I think I found a photo that might rival the effect of the the work by the old French master. And they're leaping squirrels, for crying out loud!

No comments: