Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Flying off the 600 ft. Hill

Here's a video of my first flight off the 600 ft. hill in over 10 months. I remember being scared (more than usual) for several reasons:
1) My friend Anthony mounted his HD camcorder on my glider for the first time, and I was a bit worried it might affect the glider's performance.
2) I was flying a new approach to the landing zone; making a 90 degree turn from the south instead of the typical west approach.
3) I was launching off the 600 ft. hill unassisted. Anthony had already flown off the 600 ft. hill moments before, and our flight instructor Barry was launching other students off the 300 ft. hill. That meant I had to make my own judgments and decisions on launch -- always a hairy proposition.



It ended being a pretty good flight. I ended up putting my knee on the base tube to bring the Pulse down as fast as I could, but I blew past the spot (the orange cones at the end) anyway. Lots of fun, can't way to do it again and fly off the top of the mountain at 1750 ft!

No comments: