Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

This morning, I received a touching message from a Haitian-American friend. I'd like to share some of it with you:

I have felt paralyzed this week: frozen, far away, unable to do anything but watch, wait, and call my family. I wish I had the expertise to be of service, to be of some use. I given up on T.V. it makes me feel more distant, and voyeuristic. I'm tired of the Anderson Coopers of the media trying to give "great coverage." Done with the same shocking picture plastered on every website. There are 2 million stories to tell and somehow every news agency is focusing on the same two. A couple of of exceptions: The Miami Herald has been better than most, The Lede Blog at the New York Times has had constant updates and links, and most impressively and heroically is the Haitian newspaper Le Nouveliste: their website is amazing (http://www.lenouvelliste.com/, in French and Kreyol) the videos are the most enlightening videos I have seen yet: the city appears remarkably calm, and he goes to many parts of the city. As opposed to the CNN super close ups of horror, Le Nouveliste is showing the real Haitian response: firm, calm, and reasonable. Watch the videos! They play one after another and he interviews priests, people leaving the city, and gives coverage to the new reality of living in Pap (Port-au-Prince). Even if you don't understand Kreyol it is the best out there. He interviews several Haitian students leading the search rescue at Quisqueya University (where my uncle was a professor), no foreigners and they saved and delivered to medical services 14 students. The interviewer asks him who was helping him, and he answers matter of factly: "Zami'm"- my friends.

Many of you I'm sure have already donated, and I thank you for you thoughtfulness. Right now the most urgent need is money, and organizations like the Red Cross, Catholic Relief Services, and Partners in Health are the on the ground and working hard. The last two in particular have resources and people distributed throughout the country, an important factor as many Haitian are leaving Port-au-Prince for the the interior.

I ask that you consider encouraging your community to sponsor a Haitian Church as Haiti rebuilds. Haiti is a very religious country and has lost many of it places of worship: from the great Catholic Cathedral of the capitol to small store front evangelical churches, the people will need places to share in the blessings that must follow such tragedy.
As grandmother used to say: Men anpil chay pa lou- Where hands are many, the harvest is not heavy.

No comments: