Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Bronx Library Center


I went to the Bronx Library Center (310 E. Kingsbridge Rd. off of Fordham Rd.) with a group of 6th graders today -- what a fantastic library! Lots of great books, in a beautiful space, with a friendly and helpful staff. If I were a middle school student in the Bx, I'd probably spend every day of my summer there (well, I'd probably split my time at a library and an outdoor destination, like Pelham Bay Park).

The kind staff erased my overdue fines, so I can check out books from the NYPL again. Two of the books I took out are poetry compilations: Paint Me Like I Am and You Hear Me? Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys. I've really started getting into poetry a few months ago; really, ever since I visited Ms. Rymer's poetry class. I find that it really helps me understand myself and others, and it doesn't take a lot of time to get into, like a novel. I like my poetry candid and raw -- I'll post a few of my favorite poems later.

The third book I checked out is called Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini. I was drawn to the book by its title and cool cover -- I'll post a review of it after I finish reading it.

No comments: