Monday, June 4, 2007

Pink Dolphins!

You've heard of pink flamingos, but pink dolphins? According to Neatorama, these dolphins are pink for the same reason flamingos are -- their colorful diet. These animals both feed on a large quantity of crustaceans like shrimp, which happen to be high in alpha- and beta-carotenes. Carotenes are pigments that give foods like shrimp (and veggies like carrots) their bright orange and yellow hues. I assume that when the dolphins and flamingos "process" the shrimp, the color changes from orange to pink.

Hmmm...I noticed that the yuppies in my room have lost their orange sheen since I lost my fish food. They've been living off of te aquatic plants in the aquarium, and have looked progressively less orange (and more gray).

I wonder if I eat a whole lot of carrots I just might be able turn my skin orange for Halloween??

No comments: