Thursday, April 7, 2016

Racism without Racists Chapter 3: The Style of Color Blindness

How to talk nasty about minorities without sounding racist...

1. Calling blacks "nigger" softly: racism without racial epithets
When people of color were property or regarded as secondary human beings, there was no reason to be concerned in talking about them. The Civil Rights era shattered norms about public discussions on race. Public discussions are careful, indirect, hesitant, and occasionally in coded language.

2. Using a rhetorical maze
Semantic moves used by whites include apparent denials ("I don't believe that, but..." or "I am not prejudiced, but...")

3. Projection: "They are the racist ones..."

4. Diminutives: "It makes me a little angry..."
Few whites say, "I am against affirmative action" or "I am against interracial marriage"; instead, they say something such as "I am just a little bit against affirmative action" or "I am just a bit concerned about the welfare of the children."

5. Rhetorical Incoherence: "I, I, I don't mean, you know, but..."

No comments: