Friday, January 12, 2007

Bathing Ape Hoodie

Those of you who have been around me enough know that I've been jonesing for a cool hoodie for some time. I think I finally found a brand I like: "Bape" or "A Bathing Ape."

Here's the description from Bape's myspace: The company was started in 1993 by Nigo as a T-shirt brand, originating in the Harajuku area of Shibuya in Tokyo, becoming one of the first Japanese streetwear brands. Bape's logo and themes are derived from the original Planet of the Apes movies, while the brand's name is based on a common Japanese saying, "bathing in lukewarm water", describing the willingness of Japan's youth to follow popular trends.

Sounds cool, n'est-ce pas? Thanks Shana for the tip.

I don't think I'll actually pay the $100-200 to buy one though. First of all, I'd rather spend that money on something I actually need, like food. Second, I know that once I start wearing something, it becomes un-cool. Third, "Mr. Wu" + "urban streetwear" are two phrases I just don't feel comfortable mixing. I think I'll stick to hand-me-down clothing from my brother and friends.

Links: NYT article on Bape's SoHo store, Wikipedia article on Bape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you really enjoy the hand-me-downs? I know that I would, cuz getting hand-me-ups are way better than hand-me-downs,specially if your donations are coming from a little sister thats 7. Have fun Mr.Wu. Gabriela Matos was here.